- Abel, Elie. Leaking: Who Does It? Who Benefits? At What Cost? New York: Priority
Press Publications, 1987.
- Abrams, Floyd. Speaking Freely: Trials ofthe First Amendment. New York: Viking,
- Bernstein, Carl, and Bob Woodward. All the President's Men. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1974.
- Bickel, Alexander M. The Morality ofConsent. New Haven: Yale University Press,
- Blasi, Vince. "The Newsman's Privilege: An Empirical Study. "Michigan Law Re-
view70: 229 (December 1971).
- Bradlee, Benjamin C. A Good Life: Newspapering and Other Adventures. New York:
Simon & Schuster, 1995.
- Branzburg v. Hayes, 408 U. S. 665, June 29, 1972.
- Cohen, Dan. Anonymous Source: At War Against the Media; A True Story. Min-
neapolis: Oliver Press, 2005.
- Cohen v. Cowles Media Co. , 501 U. S. 663, June 24, 1991.
- Dienes, C. Thomas, Lee Levine, and Robert C. Lind. Newsgathering and the Law.
Charlottesville, Va. : Michie Law Publishers, 1997.
- Edgar, Harold, and Schmidt, Benno C. , Jr. "The Espionage Statutes and Publica-
tion of Defense Information. "Columbia Law Review73: 5 (May 1973).
- Ellsberg, Daniel. Secrets: A Memoir of Vietnam and the Pentagon Papers. New York:
- Fainaru-Wada, Mark, and Lance Williams. Game of Shadows: Barry Bonds,
BALCO, and the Steroids Scandal That Rocked Professional Sports. New York:
Gotham Books, 2006.
- Farber, Myron. "Somebody Is Lying": The Story of Dr. X. New York: Doubleday,
- Friendly, Fred W. Minnesota Rag: Corruption, Yellow Journalism, and the Case That
Saved Freedom ofthe Press. New York: Random House, 1981.
- Graham, Katharine. Personal History. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1997.
- Isikoff, Michael, and David Corn. Hubris: The Inside Story ofSpin, Scandal, and the
Selling ofthe Iraq War. New York: Crown Publishers, 2006.
- Kobre, Sidney. Development of American Journalism. Dubuque, Iowa: W. C.
- Langley, Monica, and Lee Levine. "Branzburg Revisited: Confidential Sources
and First Amendment Value. "George Washington Law Review 57: 1 (November 1988), p. 13.
- Lively, Donald E. , Dorothy E. Roberts, and Russell L. Weaver. First Amendment
Anthology. Cincinnati: Anderson Publishing, 1994.
McKevitt v. Pallasch, 339 F. 3rd 530, July 3, 2003.
- Mnookin, Seth. Hard News: The Scandals at The New York Times and Their
Meaning for American Media. New York: Random House, 2004.
Morrison v. Olson, 487 U. S. 654, June 29, 1988.
Near v. State of Minnesota, 283 U. S. 697, June 1, 1931.
- Nestler, Jeffrey S. "The Underprivileged Profession: The Case for Supreme Court
Recognition of the Journalist's Privilege." University of Pennsylvania Law Review 154: 1, p. 201.
New York Times Co. v. United States, 403 U. S. 713, June 30, 1971.
- Okrent, Daniel. Public Editor #1: The Collected Columns (with Reflections, Reconsid-
erations, and Even a Few Retractions) of the First Ombudsman ofthe New York
Times. New York: Public Affairs, 2006.
- Powe, Lucas A., Jr. The Fourth Estate and the Constitution: Freedom of the Press in
America. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1991.
- Prados, John, and Margaret Pratt Porter, eds. Inside the Pentagon Papers.Lawrence: University Press of Kansas, 2004.
Report of the Commission on Protecting and Reducing Government Secrecy. Washington, D. C. : United States Government Printing Office, 1997.
Report on the U. S. Intelligence Community's Prewar Intelligence Assessments on Iraq.
United States Senate, Select Committee on Intelligence. July 7, 2004.
- Risen, James. State of War: The Secret History ofthe CIA and the Bush Administration. New York: Free Press, 2006.
- Stone, Geoffrey R. Perilous Times: Free Speech in Wartime from the Sedition Act of
1798 to the War on Terrorism. New York: W. W. Norton, 2004.
- Ungar, Sanford J. The Papers & the Papers: An Account ofthe Legal and Political Battle over the Pentagon Papers. New York: E. P. Dutton, 1972.
United States v. Morison, 844 F. 2nd 1057, April 1, 1988.
United States v. Nixon, 418 U. S. 683, July 24, 1974.
White Paper on the Reporter's Privilege. New York: Media Law Resource Center,
- Woodward, Bob. Bush at War. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2002.
------. Plan of Attack. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2004.
------. State of Denial. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2006.
Youngstown v. Sawyer, 343 U. S. 579, June 2, 1952.
Zerilli v. Smith, 211 U. S. App. D. C. 116, April 13, 1981.
Download a PDF of the Index